Feast of Flesh

Wow…. What a semester.  

I took Art and Design Foundations before entering the Graphic Design program. That year of education included the longest strike in Ontario College history, but I made it through.  When deciding whether to go into this program everyone told me that Graphic Design would be harder.  Everyone told me that the second year was the hardest.  How very prophetic!

Attending school, with fellow students who, essentially, I could be a grandparent to is an eye opener.  It’s the first time I experienced ageism. As well, I had to come to terms with being an overachiever and push past this.  I had to decide whether I wanted to grow or not because if you're a chronic overachiever, being adequate isn't ever enough and this year my marks have been adequate.  Lastly, I had to fight through some of my own health challenges that cause me to mentally flatline while being as creative as possible.

This semester, however, has been an absolute shit show.  A lot of what I learned has not stuck.  I absolutely hate online learning and it has impacted me in ways I couldn’t imagine.  I am a tactile learner; kinetic by nature.  Even though I am a radical introvert this last month of school has been very puncturing; I am barely clawing my way across the finish line, with my husband locked in West 5th on suicide watch.  With this pandemic going on, quite frankly I am more than thankful they found him a bed.

Speaking of pandemic…. I am going to walk through the colouring of my COVID 19 poster.  Let me give you some insight into my design choices first.  The Black Death (1347-1350) was a pandemic that shattered the populations of Europe and Asia. The plague was an unparalleled human catastrophe. It not only shook Italian society but transformed it. The Black Death marked an end of an era in Italy, its impact was profound, and it resulted in wide-ranging social, economic, cultural and religious changes. I feel like that echoes what the world is looking at after this pandemic is over. It is for that reason that I decided to work with a Renaissance colour palette.



I started with the central figure, the mummy.  I added a base colour to the whole figure then added texture with various brushes.  I then went in and added the finer details like the eye colour and especially the hands. I wanted the bandages to look distinct and yet aged and ragged. 




The black and white photos were really great but I didn't take the picture and I didn't thing they looked good when I tried to add colour to the, I added the more vector background that I created myself, but it looked flat.  I textured the sky to look more ominous but left the tree branch and the headstones relatively basic to make sure the mummy popped out. The fonts I used are called Feast Of Flesh and Double Feature as they seemed congruent to the overall design. Last I added the hashtag in a way that it would not drag your eye down but just catch it if that makes sense.


Comments