Drag-U-La

Last week I was grumpy and this week I’m homeschooling it due to a Global Pandemic. I’ve decided the best way for me to handle this situation is to try and maintain some sense of routine and normalcy.  This is going to hit as many pre-covid19 Dropbox deadlines as I can.  We shall see.



I began painting these storyboards (am I ever glad I did 8 instead of 6 so that the whole episode story could enfold) by flat colouring the background on the background layer. Work from whatever is farthest away (the sky) to whatever is nearest (the road, sidewalk, and grass in the foreground).  When painting flat colours, it helps to add a fill layer as a base so that you can easily see any unpainted areas when painting with lighter colours.  





This process can be tedious, in my opinion.  I spend all too much time zooming in and out. I wanted to give the appearance of colourization because this episode of the Munsters happens to be in Black and White. When the flat colours are done to create a Multiply layer for the background. I added darker shadow shapes to the storyboards to augment the feel of realism.



Once I feel like I have enough shadows I create a Normal layer to serve as the Highlight layer.  I drop in the highlights as I see fit. 









Comments